Present Laughter by Noel Coward
Playing Dates 11-13 November 2021
Audition date: Sun 5th Sep at 7pm in the Hall at the Settlement.
Rehearsals will be Mon, Wed, and some Sun Later in the rehearsal schedule.
Production days: 11-13 Nov 2021
This Noel Coward play depicts a few days, in the early 1940’s, in the life of the successful and self-obsessed light comedy actor Garry Essendine as he prepares to travel for a touring commitment in Africa. Amid a series of events bordering on farce, Garry has to deal with women who want to seduce him, placate both his long-suffering secretary and his wife, cope with a crazed young playwright, and overcome his impending mid-life crisis (he has recently turned forty). The character is a caricature of the author’s real-life persona.
Most of the characters are roughly mid 20s to mid 40s, However, we will be flexible with age and other attributes. I include some descriptions from the script for a bit of context.
- Daphne Stillington – A pretty young women from a party.
- Miss Erikson – Cigarette smoking Swedish yoga loving Housekeeper. A smaller part with opportunity for a big exaggerated character.
- Fred –Valet, smaller part, young man about town, again opportunity for a big comedic character.
- Monica Reed – Secretary, austere but effective
- Garry Essendine – A big wordy part as everything revolves around Garry, with all the other characters behaving in ways to manage him.
- Liz Essendine – Gary’s ex wife, charming, good looking and a foil for Garry.
- Roland Maule – An Ernest and opinionated playwright.
- Henry Lyppiatt – Garrys management team, married to Joanna. Dapper, neat.
- Morris Dixon – Garrys management team. Tall and good looking, tends to get hysterical.
- Joanna Lyppiatt – Another pretty young woman from a party.
- Lady Saltburn – Small Part, Daphne’s aunt.
Once cast, learning lines will need to begin in earnest. There are a number of physical scenes, where holding a script will be difficult.
Rehearsals will be on Monday and Wednesday at 8.00 pm and most but not all Sunday’s. A full rehearsal schedule will be issued once the play is cast.
If you would like to audition but cannot make the audition dates, or are interested in supporting the production backstage or on the technical side, then please let Stephen know at firstname.lastname@example.org